We need a "Getting Started guide" for ParaView
This issue was created automatically from an original Mantis Issue. Further discussion may take place here.
Extracts from email:
======================================= ....watching users that try to just pick ParaView up without someone helping them, this isn't enough. I am starting to strongly feel that we need more than we have at startup - the initial login only, or until a user clicks a button and turns it off. ParaView has a fairly small, but extremely confusing first few steps. Maybe something as simple as "here's the apply button, here's auto apply, here's the help menu...". Here are the primary one time confusing issues with ParaView:
- Apply button. This is a huge hurdle for many folks that try ParaView without any tutoring.
- Variables aren't loaded by default. Once you hit apply, you never notice this again, and can't figure out how to paint by variable.
- Color by a variable. Users just see white, spin the object, like the colors better for EnSight (colors by block by default), and leave ParaView.
- Rescale to Data Range.
- How to automate some stuff. Auto Apply, Start at last timestep come to mind.
- The concept of filters. Just a sentence like "after you load your data, try clipping with Filters/ Common/ Clip" would help immensely.