Rendering architecture discussion
Just a warning, this might be a lot of information to take in at once. Simply put, rendering architectures are influenced by everything.
As a followup for our meeting, you can see the few slides here.
Here are some interesting discussions:
- https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/637023-is-clustered-forward-shading-worth-implementing/ (discussing clustered approaches, which we can't do with VTK unless we move to OpenGL 4.3+. It still gives interesting information about the differences between deferred and forward rendering.)
Basically, this is important to talk about now because it heavily influences how shaders are structured. We can also combine architecture patterns as well.
Here are the big questions:
- (Rendering architecture decision) How much priority to place on:
- material variety (maybe we can list the types of materials to expect)?
- number/types of shadows?
- What should our G-buffer layout be?
- What's our target hardware?
- What complexity do we want to be the baseline for shading and how physically-based do we want everything?
- What options do we want for ambient occlusion? This could influence choices for lighting. It also could determine when ambient occlusion calculations occur.